The Department of Economic History
The Department dates back to 1947-48 when Karl-Gustaf Hildebrand, with a recently earned doctoral degree in History, became preceptor of Economic History. Hildebrand was appointed Professor of Economic History in 1959 and from 1964 Economic History was placed within the newly established Faculty of Social Sciences. The first doctoral dissertation was defended in 1967 and from then on just over a hundred people have earned a doctoral degree in Economic History.
The Department started off small with only one Professor as permanent faculty, but grew rapidly during the 1970s. Today, there are about 50 of us active at the Department, four professors and approximately fifteen lecturers and researchers, three administrators, and twenty PhD students.